Charles Lapicque was born on October 6, 1898, in Theizé, France.
He arrived in Paris in 1909. Charles Lapicque was mobilized to fight in the First World War and was eventually awarded the Croix de Guerrein 1918. The following year, he began engineering studies in Paris. During this period, the strong impulse he felt for Art led him to devote much of his time to self-taught painting. This proves to be a profound need that leads him to abandon his engineering career to devote himself full-time to the practice of painting. Lapicque held his first solo exhibition in 1929, at the Jeanne Bucher Gallery (founded in 1925), following an invitation from its founder to join the gallery's group of artists.
His works, between the years 1939 and 1943, were instrumental in the development of non-figurative painting. It was during this period that Charles Lapicque met the philosopher Gabriel Marcel who introduced him to Jean Wahl, initiating his philosophical and aesthetic reflection. Since his youth, Lapicque developed a particular taste for music, which led him to practice the clarinet, bassoon and trombone, and took part of several amateur ensembles.
In 1953, he was awarded the Raoul Dufy Prize at the Venice Biennale.
He died on July 15, 1988, in Orsay, France.